Have you made up your mind? Are you going to sign up for the personally controlled e-health record (PCEHR)?
I believe six issues need to be sorted out as soon as possible to make it easier for consumers to take part:
- Confidential patient data is potentially unsecure in the PCEHR Govt cloud
- Too much risk & liability for health professionals
- Uploaded PCEHR data will be used by Govt for other purposes incl data mining
- Up to 5 minutes extra per patient is needed to upload and manage online PCEHR data
- Longer consults create higher fees & increased costs for patients
- More red tape, difficult to understand rules and regulations
It’s got a lot of potential, but the devil is in the detail.