There are a 5 simple questions you can ask your doctor about tests and 5 questions about the treatment, to be better informed, and get the outcome you want.
- How certain or uncertain are you about my diagnosis?
- Are further tests required?
- If so, how good are the tests?
- Are there risks or downsides to the tests?
- Is testing necessary or are there other options?
- What treatments options do I have?
- How successful is the treatment?
- Are there risks attached to the treatment? Eg adverse reactions, interactions with other medications, antibiotic resistance, bleeding, infection.
- Is the treatment necessary or are there other options? Eg wait, try lifestyle changes first, do further tests, see another doctor.
- Is there anything else I need to know about the treatment? Eg how to administer, when to come back, how to prevent this from happening again.